A Useful Little Time-saver

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Useful Little Time-saver

Post by Rhovanor on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:00 am

If your a user of the addon npcscan then you'll already now about the monotony of constantly clearing your cache before you start WoW and if your like me, paranoid of keyloggers or just too bone idle to type a password, the following maybe of interest. It's a combination of a few sources from the internet that once a little work is done, will automatically delete your World of Warcraft cache folder, copy into the PC's clipboard your Battle.net account password and launch the game client ready for you to just paste and play. OK yes, you still have to pass the Blizzard Authenticator.

Anyway here's what to do:

Tools you will need:

Notepad or a simple text editor
The small executable called clip.exe available from microsoft (works on all versions of windows)
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Services/TechNet/samples/PS/Win98/Reskit/FILE/CLIP.EXE

Step 1 - Download the above file and place it in your windows root folder (i.e C:\Windows\)

Step 2 - Using notepad create a text file containing your Battle.net account password and save the file in the same windows folder naming it anything you choose, in this example I use "nancy.txt" (probably best not to use password.txt).

Step 3 - Create a new file, again in notepad or similar and paste the following text:

@echo off
echo loading ....
echo Your Cache will be deleted, press any key to start World Of Warcraft!
echo.
rmdir /s /q "C:\Program files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Cache"
clip < nancy.txt
CD C:\Program files (x86)\World of Warcraft\
pause
START Launcher.exe
exit

With me so far? Good, now for some editing.

Step 4 - In the script above I have highlighted in green the variables which you will need to edit in order to match you set-up i.e the name of file containing your password and the directory of your WoW installation. Also if you do not want to use the Launcher and rather just go straight to the game change Launcher.exe to Wow or wow-64.exe depending on which version of the game you are using.

Step 5 - Once complete you will need to save the file, again in your windows root folder, however instead of for example "WoW.txt" change the file extension to "WoW.bat" and below that, in the drop down menu save as type, choose all files (*.*).

That's the file written, just create a shortcut to the desktop or anywhere that's convenient for you and your good to go.

If you don't like the ugly shortcut icon and wish to change it, simply right click on it, choose properties and select the shortcut tab at the top. Using the button icon, browse to your World of Warcraft folder and select an icon from there to give you the default W logo.

If you don't want to use the password option, just omit steps 1 and 2 and delete:
clip < nancy.txt from the finished script before saving.

Hope some of you find this useful:

Happy Hunting

Gonzo pirat

Rhovanor

Humor : Random

View user profile http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nagrand/Rhovanor/advanced

Back to top Go down

Re: A Useful Little Time-saver

Post by Ronjambo on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:31 am

when you open npc scan with the command /npcscan

you see the option with a tick box

/Search for completed Achievement NPCs

well i have this box ticked and i get warnings for an npc named mobus or something like that, all the time, from dwarven district sw, i think its a whale

Admin

Humor : Shadow and Flame

View user profile http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nagrand/Ronjambo/advanced

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrigahn on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:37 pm

it is a whale, but there' s a bug .. as this whale is located in the Abyss deeps!!

Me and Dread was searching and seaching ... and ended up with checking wowhead... and found Mobus in Abyss....
You can edit the file in NPC_Scan .. to add it into Vashi'r location ..

Tank

Healer

Morrigahn

View user profile http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nagrand/Morrigahn/advanced

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronjambo on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 pm

my point was that i have not cleared the cache
and i still get warnings for it

this says to me that you dont need to clear the cache??

and if that is a bug when it warns me in stormwind if he is alive,
maybe since i live in the auction house,
i should set all the rare mobs to the same as the whale so that i get a warning from stormwind every time a rare spawns, hmm

Admin

Humor : Shadow and Flame

View user profile http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nagrand/Ronjambo/advanced

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhovanor on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:59 pm

I did post a comment on here the other day but seems to have not posted properly, not sure why Mobius is bugged like that, it send out alerts to anyone up and down the coast of Eastern Kingdom. As far as I am aware only mobs listed on the Bloody Rare and Frostbitten tabs while continue to alert if the check box is ticked. In the past week since clearing my cache regularly with the above I've had 4 alerts of Lil Timmy grabbing 3 cat Carriers and managed to earn 1400gold from killing Terberos in Deepholm on 2 occasions and auctioning the loot.

If you get alert to Mobius again he can usually be found near Burgy Blackheart, tough mob to down as if you tank him to far he gets back full health and getting to close to head or tail is pretty much instant death. Managed it with 3 others many moons ago, afeter a couple of wipes took us about 20 mins. Not bad loot either, not epic but not bad.

Rhovanor

Humor : Random

View user profile http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nagrand/Rhovanor/advanced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top